August 12, 2021
Do you want to contribute to getting millions of people all over the world access to healthcare? Do you want to work in a fast-paced, international environment where you can truly make a difference? Join our highly skilled team of 190 colleagues at CarePay and have impact from day one!
CarePay is looking to hire senior backend developers for our Nairobi and Amsterdam teams. If you are interested, please apply here.
CarePay is a data-driven company operating in Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania and with headquarters located in Amsterdam. CarePay has developed a mobile health benefit platform that has the potential to fundamentally change healthcare. The platform digitally connects patients, health payers (e.g. insurers, governments) and healthcare providers to one platform. We believe that through mobile technology everyone can be connected to health insurance against very low marginal costs. Our platform enables people to access health insurance schemes and pay for healthcare efficiently and transparently via a user-friendly health wallet on their mobile phone. Using our digital platform leads to reduced costs, creates huge data value, and enhances transparency and accountability.
So far, we have enrolled over 4.7 million people and have connected more than 3,000 healthcare providers. Since the start, CarePay has gained international traction. In 2017, CarePay won the FT/IFC Transformational Business Award and in 2018 CarePay was recognized as Technology Pioneer by the World Economic Forum. In 2019, CarePay won the Swiss Re Entrepreneurs for Resilience Award. In 2020 CarePay was selected as one of the pioneering use cases on Europe’s GAIA-X cloud platform and has been listed together with Safaricom in Fortune’s Change the World top 10, alongside companies like Zoom and Alibaba.
In April 2019, CarePay International raised $45 million in a Series A financing round to facilitate the expansion to other countries.
As senior backend software engineer you are part of one of our developer teams working on core features of the platform. You are part of a multidisciplinary team including frontend engineers, cloud engineers, business analysts, designers and business owners. As a team you own your backlog and take pride in achieving results. Your main task is to deliver quality solutions for our end-users and at the same time keep the platform fit for the future. You guide and coach other team members. Our main technologies are Java, AWS, SQL, Angular and Android. You will be working with a diverse and driven team that prioritizes impact over cutting-edge methods. Yet at the same you continuously probe and explore new opportunities and technologies.
• MSc in software engineering or related
• At least 5 years plus relevant software development experience
• Experienced in Java and SQL
• Interest in global development and healthcare
• English speaking
• Have a cloud native mindset
• Experience setting up CI/CD tools and pipelines
• Experience with Github or Bitbucket
• Experience with mobile technology and development
• Security and GDPR are always part of your development cycle.
• Experience with developing solutions as part of a team
• Experience working in a highly competitive, international business environment
What we offer
• The opportunity to work on projects with high social impact with a fun and motivated team
• Startup culture with an international team (>50% in Kenya), flat hierarchies, and Friday beers
• Based in Amsterdam with travel opportunities
• Your choice of equipment and tools
• Competitive salary and flexible hours