April 13, 2021
Data Internships at CarePay
Do you want to contribute to getting millions of people all over the world access to healthcare? Do you want to work in a fast-paced, international environment where you can truly make a difference? Join our highly skilled team of 190 colleagues at CarePay and have impact from day one!
CarePay is always looking for interns for the data team. If you are interested, please send us a quick note and your CV to email@example.com.
CarePay is a data-driven company operating in Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania and with headquarters located in Amsterdam. CarePay has developed a mobile health benefit platform that has the potential to fundamentally change healthcare. The platform digitally connects patients, health payers (e.g. insurers, governments) and healthcare providers to one platform. We believe that through mobile technology everyone can be connected to health insurance against very low marginal costs. Our platform enables people to access health insurance schemes and pay for healthcare efficiently and transparently via a user-friendly health wallet on their mobile phone. Using our digital platform leads to reduced costs, creates huge data value, and enhances transparency and accountability.
So far, we have enrolled over 4.7 million people and have connected more than 3,000 healthcare providers. Since the start, CarePay has gained international traction. In 2017, CarePay won the FT/IFC Transformational Business Award and in 2018 CarePay was recognized as Technology Pioneer by the World Economic Forum. In 2019, CarePay won the Swiss Re Entrepreneurs for Resilience Award. In 2020 CarePay was selected as one of the pioneering use cases on Europe’s GAIA-X cloud platform and has been listed together with Safaricom in Fortune’s Change the World top 10, alongside companies like Zoom and Alibaba.
In April 2019, CarePay International raised $45 million in a Series A financing round to facilitate the expansion to other countries.
We are a team of data analysts, engineers, and data scientists aiming to generate value from data at CarePay. That includes setting up a data warehouse with a data pipeline based on AWS, Singer, Airflow, and Snowflake, automatically monitoring data quality, offering self-service analytics with the BI tool Metabase, building data dashboards for healthcare stakeholders, and building DS and ML services in python to automate manual processes such as claims management. We prioritize social impact over cutting-edge methods, strive to work with open source software, and are always eager to experiment with new ideas. Our team works in Amsterdam, Kenya and on Zoom.
Projects always depend on what our team is working on, but ideas include:
• Data Science: ML-based fraud detection in the claims process
• Data Science: ML-based recommendation system to recommend hospitals to patients
• Data Science: Automated system to support payers understand the composition of cost drivers for healthcare payers
• Data Science: Create a “CarePay Benchmark” on cost of treatment in Kenya
• Data Engineering: Implementation of a Snowplow and Kafka-based events tracking system
• Data Engineering: Integration with open datasets and publishing our data to the community
• Data Engineering: Pilot dbt and migrate our data modelling pipeline to the tool if successful
• Data Analysis: Research and establish standard insurance KPIs such as IBNR, LR, etc…
• Data Analysis: Establish KPIs to measure social impact of CarePay’s work
What we are looking for
• You are proficient in python and can write reusable code for data products
• You are passionate about global development and healthcare
• You are a team player and can translate between tech and business easily
Bonus point if you have
• Applied data science/engineering/analysis experience including working with end-users
• Experience with SQL, Visualization, AWS, software engineering
• Experience in translating business questions and using available data to arrive at an answer
• Experience with developing solutions as part of a team
• Experience with healthcare data
• Experience working in an international business environment