January 30, 2020
CarePay is a fast-growing fintech / healthtech company with offices in Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania, and the Netherlands. Our corporate mission is to “Give Everyone the Power to Care” through a digital payment and data platform that transparently connects people, healthcare providers, and healthcare payors. Our most prominent product, Kenya’s M-TIBA platform, already connects over 4.5 million people with about 2000 healthcare providers and financing from various insurances, employers and donors. In 2017, CarePay won the FT/IFC Transformational Business Award and in 2018 CarePay was recognized as a Technology Pioneer 2018 by the World Economic Forum, putting it in the same league as previous winners of the same award such as Google, Facebook and Airbnb.
The purpose of Database Administrator (DBA) is to take responsibility for making sure the CarePay database systems support the operations of the Carepay customer eco system. This role is involved in planning, developing and troubleshooting of databases, reporting, data entry and output, running manual queries, technology management, and end-user training and support. You are part of the Systems, Security and Infrastructure team responsible for operating and improving the Carepay infrastructure largely based on AWS.
Qualifications, knowledge & experience
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related information technology field
• At least 3 years work experience in a busy environment
• Experience with MySQL, Aurora MySQL or MS-SQL
• Very strong knowledge of SQL and SQL related tools.
• Knowledge on at-least one scripting language.
• AWS and cloud infrastructure know-how.
• An understanding of confidentiality and data protection issues.
Key skills & competencies
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Analytic mindset and good problem-solving skills.
• A keen eye for detail
• Team working skills with ability to work with people at all levels, including non-technical staff
• Be self-motivated and a quick learner
• Sense of ownership
• Ability to work on own initiative within agreed boundaries
• Enthusiastic and motivated personality
• Discretion in handling confidential information.
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, professionalism, and a commitment to CarePay’s mission to Give People Power to Care.