January 13, 2020
CarePay is an international, fast-growing fintech company with offices in Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania and the Netherlands. Our HQ was established in 2018 in Amsterdam. Our company’s vision is to make mobile health insurance accessible to everyone by using state-of-the-art technology. We strongly believe in leveraging the mobile technology revolution to transform the health insurance sector. CarePay has developed a smart payment distribution platform on the foundations of the mobile money ecosystem, which permanently connects patients, premium payers, insurers and healthcare providers on our platform. The platform provides mobile health wallets which allows all stakeholders to send, receive and pay dedicated healthcare funds to each other instantly and thereby reducing costs, creating huge data value and enhancing transparency and accountability. CarePay’s platform has connected over 4.5 million participants and more than 2,000 healthcare facilities and is now expanding its business internationally, starting with Nigeria and Tanzania.
Since its start, CarePay has received wide-spread international coverage and traction. In 2017, CarePay won the FT/IFC Transformational Business Award and in 2018 CarePay was recognized as a Technology Pioneer 2018 by the World Economic Forum, following the footsteps of long line of successful companies, such as Google (2001), Twitter (2009) and Airbnb (2013). In 2019, CarePay won the Swiss Re Entrepreneurs for Resilience Award.
As Legal Counsel, you will provide legal support to the organization, including CarePay’s local offices. In this role you will balance legal requirements with operational considerations.
• Set up a legal administration;
• Drafting, negotiating, monitoring, reviewing and managing different types of legal documents and agreements;
• Legal advice, e.g. corporate governance, data protection, privacy (GDPR) and intellectual property;
• Identify and evaluate business and legal risks, and find creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals;
• Keeping oversight to help ensure compliance with contract obligations;
• Collaborate with teams across CarePay (including sales, risk & compliance, finance, etc.);
• Liaising regularly with local counsels in the various markets we operate;
• Help ensure CarePay’s (commercial) activities comply with local law ®ulations;
• Advise on HR-related legal issues;
• Serve as a resource on matters of corporate law and governance;
• Handle corporate governance and other corporate housekeeping matters, including preparing board and committee meeting agendas, meeting minutes, resolutions, and shareholder/board consents.
• A relevant law degree and at least 5 years of experience in a relevant setting (preferably in Dutch law);
• Experience at a professional services company;
• Ability to work well under pressure and quickly adapt to changing responsibilities;
• Ability to operate strategically in a complex setting with various stakeholders;
• Proven ability to independently make effective decisions and solve problems;
• Highly motivated, resourceful, proactive, assertive and detail-oriented;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Dutch.
Nice to haves:
• Experience with legal due diligence;
• Familiarity with the insurance, payment or financial services industries and knowledge of associated regulatory issues;
• History of advising high growth companies, particularly those involved in highly regulated industries such as financial services, telecommunications, healthcare, etc.
Do you want to contribute to getting millions of people all over the world access to healthcare? Do you want to work in a fast-paced, international environment where you can truly make a difference? Do you want to work in a company that has the ambition to change the world? Apply now!